Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Nan Khatai ( Eggless Cookies)

Famous tea time Indian cookies. Egg-less, light and melting in the mouth-its texture is simply irresistible. These cookies traditionally use "Ghee" or "Clarified butter" but using butter or oil would do just fine.



Serves: 20

Ingredients:

200 gms, 2 cups All purpose flour(maida)
100 gms, 1/2 cup Semolina(very fine quality)
150 gms, 3/4th cup cooking oil/ghee/unsalted butter
150 gms, 1 cup + 1/3 cup Powdered sugar
2 tbsp Curd(Yogurt)
1 tsp Cardamom powder
1/4 tsp Soda bi-carbonate
2 tbsps Pistachios(chopped finely)
4-5 tbsp Milk (optional)

Directions:

Beat oil/ghee/butter, sugar and curd together using a hand mixer or a whisk till well combined.

Sieve flour, semolina and soda in a bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the curd mixture. Mix them well using your hands to form a soft dough. Add milk little by little if the dough seems hard otherwise just leave it as it is.

Preheat the oven to 180 deg C. Divide the dough into 20 small balls.

Place the balls 5 cms apart on a baking sheet lined with a baking paper. Press each ball in the center with your thumb and garnish with pista and cardamom powder(You can even use a mortar and pestle to chop and mix pistachio and cardamom powder together).

Place the baking sheet at the lower third rack of the oven and bake at 180 deg C for 15-20 minutes.

Serve hot with coffee or tea.

21 comments:

Anshika said...

Recently I also made such healthy biscuits for my office. I am in a great habit of snacking at my workplace. Your nankhatais are just superb. Will make this time for my office.

Bergamot said...

the nankhatais look really good... nice pictures love the pista topping

Sonia said...

Hi Ramya, this is a best munch with tea-coffee. My mom used to make it at home. Thanks for reminder. Will try ur version soon. Pics are very neat.:)

Priya Suresh said...

Wow eggless Nankhatai!! tremendous Ramya!

Ammu said...

Wonderful pictures.Lovely snack. There is something waiting for you in my blog.

Parita said...

Naankhatai looks perfect Ramya! love the gorgeous presentation!

Lauren said...

so interesting! i love all of the recipes you share :)

Anushruti said...

They look crunchy and delicious. A great way to snack!

Soma said...

These have to be the best one I have seen. My hubby's favorite, but i never made that at home.

Red Chillies said...

The first picture is absolutely gorgeous Ramya. Love benne bisuit.

Jo said...

Delicious looking cookies and the pistachio topping looks good too.

Piggy said...

These cookies look so yummy! Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to give it a try!

Unknown said...

Looks elegant and perfect with the pistachios topping!

ST said...

An award is waiting for u at my blog..Congrats..

U hve nice and lovely blog...

Nankati looks scrumptious..

Naailah said...

hey just wanna say that i tried these out and really liked them..but the first batch i let them bake for 20 mins and i found them too brown and the 2nd batch i bake for 15 min they were fine, but not as "white" as urs..they still a bit brown..how come urs are "white" ??

Ramya Kiran said...

@ Naailah, good that these turned out nice for you. Mine just tuned out white. i've no reason. But don't know why these turned out brown for you. Anyways taste is all that matters.

Khadija said...

hi..i made these a couple of times and theyve turned out excellent each time.theyre a hit with evryone at home.

Sommer said...

can i use almonds in place of the pistachios?? These looks so gorgeous! I would love to use pistachios, but i don't have any!

Ramya Kiran said...

@ Sommer J, you can use any nut to decorate. Almonds are my fav too..

Sommer said...

Cheers!! Will be making these today :)

Aarti said...

Hi

I just bought this Morphy Richards OTG (35 RC SS), however, at 170 degrees my cookies are burnt.
Couple of Questions:
1) How long should I preheat the oven? On what temperature and which mode? I usually preheat 250 degrees for 10 minutes on Toast mode.
2) Where exactly should I place the cookie tray?..It is the tray that I got with the Oven. So should I place it above the wire-grill? Or should I remove the Wire grill and keep only the tray?
3) My oven has another control, which asks to select the cooking mode (Covection, Rotisserie or both). Should I keep this switched off? or should it be on Convection?

Thanks in advance!

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Blog Design | 2007 Company Name