Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
To serve 8-10
Dates (deseeded)- 500gm,chopped
Milkmaid - 1 tin
Ghee(Clarified butter)- 2 tb sp
Water - 1/2 cup
Maida(all purpose flour)- 2 tb sp
Desiccated coconut powder
1) In a thick bottomed non stick pan,heat the ghee,add maida and fry for a minute. Add the water,mix well and bring to a boil.
2) Add the dates and milkmaid, mix well and cook the mixture with constant stirring till it becomes thick and starts leaving the sides of the pan.
3) Remove from fire. Cool and roll into small laddoos. Roll in desiccated coconut powder and serve.
Monday, June 30, 2008
Cooking time: 30 minutes
To serve: 12
Milkmaid - 1/4 tin
Maida - 200gm
Eggs - 5, separated
Powdered sugar - 1 cup
Butter - 225gm
Bananas - 1 cup, finely chopped
Baking powder - 1tsp
Soda bicarbonate - 1tsp
Salt - a pinch
Banana essence - 1tsp (optional)
1) Heat oven to 180 deg C. Lightly grease and flour in a 25 cm ring mould.
2) Sift together maida, baking powder, soda and salt.
3) Cream butter and powdered sugar together until light and creamy.
4) Add yolks of eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5) Blend in milkmaid, bananas and essence. Fold in sifted maida.
6) Whisk egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into the above mixture.
7) Turn into the prepared mould and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
8) Cool for 5 minutes, then remove the cake from the baking tin and cool on a wire rack.
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
For the choco cream:
Butter - 40gm
Brown sugar - 40gm
Honey - 4tbsp
Milk - 2tbsp
Coco powder - 1tbsp
Chocolate - 40g(cut into pieces)
Walnuts - 50gm(broken)
For the batter:
Butter - 100gm
Brown Sugar - 100gms
Maida(All purpose flour) - 125gm
Baking powder - 1 1/2tsp
Eggs - 2
Milk - 2tbsp
Honey - 1tbsp
1) Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.
2) Grease and flour a round cake mould.
3) For the choco cream, mix in the butter, sugar, Honey, Milk and coco powder and heat it till all the ingredients are incorporated. Take off the heat.
4) Add the chocolate pieces into this mixture. Keep stirring till the chocolates melts completely. Mix in the nuts and let cool.
5) Next mix n all the ingredients for the cake batter and keep it ready
6) In the mould, first Put in the choco-nut cream at the bottom and then spread the cake batter over it.
7) Bake this in a preheated oven at 180 deg C for 35 minutes. Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe is one of my all time favorite. Its quick and delicious. It doesn't take too much of your time and the results are outstanding. It'll definitely be a great sweet treat for your guests and for your family.
Preparation times: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Milkmaid - 1tin, 400gms
Apples - 800gms (4 nos), Peeled, cored and sliced
Butter - 50gm, 4 tbsps
Maida(All purpose flour) - 150gm
Butter - 75gm, 5tbsp
Preheat oven to 160 deg C.
Mix together butter and milkmaid in a small saucepan and cook on low-medium heat till the butter completely dissolves, for about 4 to 5 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
Take a 9 by 13" oven-proof dish. Distribute apple slices evenly at the bottom of the pan.
Pour the cooled milkmaid-butter mixture evenly over the apple slices.
Combine flour, butter, vanilla extract, and sugar with your hands to form a crumble like texture. Now take a handful of the crumble and spread evenly over the milkmaid and apples. If you like, you can add some nuts of your choice over the crumble or can mix them with the crumble and then spread them over.
Bake for 45 minutes in a preheated 160 deg C oven.
Tuesday, June 3, 2008
Serves - 6
Milkmaid - 1 tin
Maida - 200gm
Butter - 100gm
Baking powder - 1tsp
Soda Bicarbonate - 1tsp
Aerated Soda - 125ml
Mixed dry fruits(cashew,almond,walnets,dry grapes)-150gm(chopped)
Ingredients for Caramel sauce:
Sugar - 1 cup
Butter 6 Tbsp
Heavy whipping cream - 1/2 cup
or store bought Caramel Sauce - 50ml
For the Caramel sauce:
1) Take a heavy ,thick bottomed saucepan. Heat sugar on high till it melts completely and starts getting brown. Dont let it burn. immediately add the butter to the pan. Whisk until the butter has melted.
2)Once the butter has melted, take the pan off the heat. Count to three, then slowly add the cream to the pan and continue to whisk to incorporate.
3)Whisk until caramel sauce is smooth. Let cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then pour into a glass jar and let sit to cool to room temperature.You can store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
For the cake preparation:
1) Pre heat oven to 150 deg C
2) Grease the cake tin with butter
3) Melt the butter in a pan, let cool and add milkmaid and mix well.
4) Sift together the maida, baking powder and soda bi carbonate.
5) Mix the maida with the milkmaid-butter mixture alternating with soda till both are over.
6) Add the caramel syrup and the chopped dry fruits.Mix well
7) Pour into greased pan and bake for 45min to 1 hr at 150 deg C.
Cool and serve.
Monday, June 2, 2008
teaspoon = tsp or t.
Tablespoon = Tbl. or Tbls. or T. or Tbsp
Ounce = oz.
cup = c. or C.
kilogram = kg
milliliters = ml
liter = l
Dash = 2-3 drops or less than 1/8 teaspoon
3 teaspoons = 1 Tablespoon
4 Tablespoons = 1/4 cup
5 1/3 Tablespoons = 1/3 cup (5 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon = 1/3 cup)
8 Tablespoons = 1/2 cup
10 2/3 Tablespoons = 2/3 cup
12 Tablespoons = 3/4 cup
16 Tablespoons = 1 cup
1/2 cup = 1 gill
2 cups = 1 pint
4 cups = 1 quart
32 ounces = 1 quart
4 quarts= 1 gallon
8 quarts = 1 peck
4 pecks = 1 bushel
16 oz. = 1 pound
32 oz. = 1 quart
1 oz. liquid = 2 Tablespoons
8 oz. liquid = 1 cup
3 teaspoons = 15 ml
4 tablespoons = 60 ml
5-1/3 tablespoons = 79 ml
8 tablespoons = 118 ml
16 tablespoons = 237 ml
1 fluid ounce = 30 ml
8 fluid ounces = 237 ml
16 fluid ounces = 473 ml
32 fluid ounces = 946 ml
1 cup butter or margarine = 237 g = 1/2 pound
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated = 114 g = 1/4 pound
1 cup eggs = 237 ml = 4-5 whole eggs or 8 egg whites or 12 egg yolks
1 cup all-purpose flour = 114 g
1 envelope of gelatin (unflavored) = 1/4 ounce or 7 g
1 envelope of gelatin (unflavored) = 1 tablespoon or 15 ml
1 cup lard or solid vegetable fat = 237 ml = 1/2 pound = 227 g
1 medium lemon (juice) = 1-1/2 fluid ounces (3 Tablespoons) = 45 ml
1 cup chopped nut meats = 237 ml = 1/4 pound = 114 g
.035 ounces = 1 gram
1 ounce = 28.35 grams
1 pound = 453.59 grams or .45 kilograms
2.21 pounds = 1 kilogram
1 teaspoon = 4.9 ml
1 tablespoon = 14.8 ml
1/2 cup = 118.3 ml
1 cup = 237 ml
1.06 quarts = 1000 ml or 1 liter
1 medium apple = about 3/4 to 1 cup chopped
2 medium apples = about 1-1/2 cups
1 large apple = about 1 cup chopped
2 large apples = about 2-1/4 cups chopped
1 pound = 3 medium= 1-1/3 cups mashed
1 pint = 1-3/4 cups
1 medium lemon = 2-3 Tablespoons juice
5-8 medium lemons = 1 cup
1 medium lemon = 1 Tablespoon grated rind
1 medium orange = 2-3 Tablespoons juice
3-4 medium oranges = 1 cup juice
1 orange = 2 Tablespoons grated rind
1 pound = 3 cups,loosely packed
8 green onions sliced= 1 cup
4 green onions sliced = 1/2 cup
1 medium onion = 1/2 cup chopped
1 large onion = 3/4 to 1 cup chopped
1 pound = 3 medium
4 cups = about 100 grape tomatoes, or about 15 grape tomatoes per 1/2 cup
Eggs, Cheese, and Dairy
1 egg = 4 Tablespoons liquid
4-5 whole eggs = 1 cup
7-9 whites = 1 cup
12-14 yolks = 1 cup
6 eggs to a quart of milk = Perfect baked custard
8-10 large egg whites = 1 cup
12-14 large egg yolks = 1 cup
1/4 pound (4 ounces) = 1 cup shredded
1 pound shredded cheese = 4 cups
4 ounces crumbled Bleu cheese = 1 cup
1 pound American Cheese = 2-2/3 cup cubed
3 ounces = 6 Tablespoons
Cream, Heavy or whipping:
1 cup = 2 cups whipped cream
6 ounce can = 2/3 cup
14 ounce can = 1 2/3 cup
Sour milk or Buttermilk:
Don't have any buttermilk in the house? Try powdered buttermilk.
4 Tablespoons Powdered Buttermilk plus 1 cup of water = 1 cup buttermilk.
Or another alternative is to mix 1 cup sweet milk with one of the following:
1 Tablespoon vinegar or
1 Tablespoon lemon juice or
1-3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup = 5 1/2 ounces
1 pound = 3 cups
23 soda crackers = 1 cup
38 saltine crackers = 1 cup crumbs
14-15 graham cracker squares = 1 cup
22 vanilla wafers = 1 cup crumbs
4 slices of bread = 1 cup crumbs
4 oz. (1 to 1-1/4 cup uncooked macaroni) = 2-1/4 cups cooked macaroni
7 ounces spaghetti = 4 cups cooked spaghetti
Did you realize that flour can have different weights due to many factors? Humidity, climate, temperature and many other things affect the moisture level of flour. After all, it absorbs everything in its surroundings. To accurately measure flour, you really need a kitchen scale to have an good measurement by weight. A one cup measure may weigh anywhere from 4 ounces to 4-3/4 ounces. That can make quite a difference in your baking.
Below are the average food equivalents for flour:
1 pound all-purpose = 3-1/2 to 4 cups
1 pound cake flour = 4 to 4 1/2 cups
1 pound graham flour = 3 1/2 cups
1 pound corn meal = 3 cups
3-1/4 oz. package flavored gelatin = 1/2 cup
1/4 oz. package unflavored gelatin = 1 Tablespoon = 1 envelope
1 pound brown sugar = 2-1/2 cups
1 pound cube sugar = 96-160 cubes
1 pound granulated sugar = 2 cups
1 pound powdered sugar = 3-1/2 cups
Vegetable shortening, Margarine, or Butter:
1 stick = 1/2 cup
1 pound = 2 cups
1 ounce = 1 square
1 pound cocoa = 4 cups ground
6 ounce package = 1 cup
16 ounces corn syrup = 2 cups
12 ounces maple syrup = 1-1/2 cups
Posted by Ramya Kiran at 1:32 AM
Sunday, June 1, 2008
I’m Ramya. Welcome to my kitchen.
Cooking was something which i used to see my mom doing in her kitchen and i used to just watch her cook. But, somewhere along the way, i think i got obsessed with it. I started trying out different recipes either from a cookbook, from the Internet or i used to call up my mom asking her for her recipes.. Finally i ended up testing and experimenting with the ingredients. I got interest in Baking when i was in Germany as i had a baking oven to experiment with, but knew nothing about it as we hardly use a baking oven in India. I slowly began trying out all the baking recipes from the internet and things were actually working out great for me and i even had a lot of fun baking..
Apart From Cooking I Also Love Sketching, Reading And Lots And Lots Of Internet Surfing (With Often Fights With My Hubby To Hog The Laptop). I Also Love To Do Adventure Sports And Last But Not The Least, I Love Traveling.
I was then into creating this blog, "The Cooks Collection". Thought of this name thinking that it would be a journal of my recipes and experiments.. Wanted to store and share my recipes somewhere and a blog was the place i found..
It gives so much of pleasure and happiness when people visit your blog and comment on your recipes.. Just a way to keep life going..
Thank you so much for being with me and wanting to know about me. Do visit my blog and looking forward for all your comments and questions..
Cheers and Have a great day!
Posted by Ramya Kiran at 12:30 PM
What makes a food blog good? Frequency of posting, pictures and videos, overall presentation, quality of writing, relevancy, usefulness and originality are all important, but mostly, it should be fun. I had created this blog just with the intention of sharing my work and recipes.. and had not expected an Award!! I thank Ramya of "Ramya's kitchen corner" for presenting me with the "Perfect Blend Of Friendship Award". Thanks a lot Ramya for considering me as your friend and reminding me of my good old days..
I would like to pass on this friendship award to
Jo of "Sugar & Everything Nice"
Vaishali of "Holy cow!"
Sweetiepie of "What Dessert for Today"
Jo of "Sugar & Everything Nice" presented me with the "Kreative Award". Thank you so much Jo and i'll definitely try to keep your expectations.
And here i'm tagged by Jo and Ramya for 7 Meme. Now i'll be passing on this award to 7 other fellow bloggers and before that i have a hard work to do.. So here i start!!
7 things I say most Often
1) Oh my God
2) I want that
3) What the hell.. (this is when i mess up things in my kitchen)
4) I wanna sleep (i love doing this.. anytime!!)
5) Pls ya... Dont do that. (i keep telling this to my 1 year old Daughter)
6) Hmm... it was awesome (after having a heavy delicious meal)
7) Give me a break!!
7 things I did
1) I sang for my school coir team.
2) I took orange belt in Karate
3) I could dive from 10 feet high
4) I had inserted a bunch of grasses to one of my classmate's belt sitting back of her who the next moment won the best guide award. (my face had turned red when she got up to recieve the award.)
5) Climb trees
7) Went to Court (had a minor accident)
7 things I do now
1) Cook and bake
3) Full time busy with my daughter
5) Lots of shopping
6) Watch lots of movies
7) Go for a walk
7 things I want to do
1) Sky Diving
2) Attend a baking course
3) Want to get back to my country, India.
4) Paint and sketch (not finding time..)
5) Want to own a big Kitchen with all the facilities
6) Want to loose weight
7) Want to be independent
7 things that attract me about the opposite sex
7 favorite foods
1) Vegetable Pulav
2) Chocolate brownie
3) Cakes and pastrys
5) Onion pakoda
6) Apple strudel
7) Butterscotch ice cream with roasted nuts and honey
7 other Bloggers to whom i want to pass on this award to..
1) Divya Vikram of "Dil se"
2) Sweetiepie of "Whats dessert for today"
3) Sia of "Monsoon spice"
4) Natalie gauci of "Snooky Doodle Cakes"
5) Irene of "Of Dreams and Sweets"
6) Amy of "Nook & Pantry"
7) Sunita of "Sunita's world"
I just love going through their blogs and recipes and its fun trying them out. I congratulate all of you. So i request all of you to come out of your usual blog work and have fun answering these questions and do pass on this award to 7 other fellow bloggers to whom you appreciate.
Once again i congratulate you all who have recieved the awards :)
Kitchen Flavours of yummy food has honored me with the "360 deg Foodie Award". Thanks a ton.
Muneeba of 'An Edible Symphony' has presented me with this award "One lovely Blog Award". I'm glad you liked my blog Muneeba. Thank you.
I thank Lone Acorn for presenting me with this "Kreativ Blogger Award".
OK, now 7 things about me, you may not know..
* I love fantasy movies.
* I sometimes cry when watching senti movies.
* I love junk food. Cant stop eating them.
* I love going to amusement parks. My husband says he has two kids to look after. One is me and other is my daughter.
* I'm very lazy.
* My all time favorite food is Vegetable Pulao and chocolate mousse.
* I'm very particular about cleanliness. If things are scattered, i'll go mad.
Posted by Ramya Kiran at 12:30 PM